Quilt Show… There has been much discussion about this Show – between friends, Bee peeps, quilters, blogs I visit, etc. Hmmm. Before I give my two cents, I need to mention that I made the conscious decision to stop going to the Quilter’s Heritage Celebration. For reasons too numerous to recount, I believe 2006 was my last trip to the Host.
I decided to go to this year’s AQS (new) Lancaster Quilt Show. I had a fresh perspective, a new attitude and an open mind. I must say, I was QUITE pleasantly surprised!!!
Here are some of the things I LOVED about this new Show:
1. Having ALL (or most of!) the judged quilts in ONE building!!! NO golf carts, no traipsing down to the Tennis Courts, then back up the hill and into the dimly lit hallway maze hoping to find the remaining rooms where the Quilt Show was being held.
2. Not having to park in the grass/mud.
3. Not having to slog through the grass/mud to and from The Show.
4. I liked the way this Quilt Show was laid out…3 floors, 3 clearly designated rooms all under ONE roof.
5. I liked how the vendors were placed. I liked the sizes of their booths. I liked their wares!
I went with Bee friends on Saturday. We had ZERO trouble parking and walked a short distance (half block) to the Show!!! VERY easy! I LOVED the Convention Center! There were LOTS of bathrooms, places to sit, tables and nooks for eating, visiting, taking a break. The food venues were (IMO) a BIG improvement over what the Host offered. I liked the Downtown venue within walking distance to other points of interest.
I do know this Show was organized in a relatively short period of time. While lighting, programs, shuttles and pins were not in perfect amounts to please all, I thought AQS did a remarkable job with this Show! It is a NEW Show. The Convention Center is new. And, quite honestly, I’m glad Lancaster is still having a Quilt Show at all. It could have very easily just died.
Don’t be disappointed but, I’m not posting any Lancaster Quilt Show photos. The AQS website forbids it unless you have permission from the quilt maker. However, you can go to their website and see the winners! ; )
That’s my two cents! Care to give yours…?!