To make the pieced sashing for my Flower Pots quilt I am making strip sets. I sew 2 1/2 inch fabric strips together then sub-cut them into units. Then I will sew the units together. I do this because after hand appliqueing these six blocks I DON’T WON’T want to cut out four hundred and twelve (yep, 412!!!) 2 1/2 inch squares. Seriously. So…sew, this is how I do it! ; ) While I have yardage out on my cutting table for applique shapes I cut a strip or two…I may also make a circle or two, but that’s for another post…?! ; ) It’s easy…
1. Cut a 2 1/2 inch strip of fabric from selvage to selvage
2. Place two strips right sides together.
3. Take strips to the sewing machine and stitch the long sides together using a 1/4 inch seam allowance. I chain piece these!
4. Take strips to the ironing board and with darker fabric strip on top, press along the seam to “set” line of stitching.
5. Fold darker strip back to open strip set, and press. This process will press the seam allowance toward the darker fabric strip.
6. Cut sewn strips into 2 1/2 inch units.
7. Sew units together to make pieced sashing.
* I always use this process instead of cutting MANY small individual squares that will need to be sewn together.
**I use an expanded version of this technique to make my on-pointe (S)Tripping Around the Word quilts! ; ) Much easier and faster to do!!!